Let’s take action BEFORE there is a serious injury or worse.
We get more calls about road safety on our village roads than for anything else. Our roads are getting busier and traffic is getting faster.
Cllr Steve Hunt has repeatedly taken these inquiries to the Council but so far he is being told that due to limited financial resources action will only be taken where there has been a history of serious incidents.
We find it unacceptable that there would need to be a serious injury or even worse a fatality BEFORE action is taken here in Darton East Ward.
So I am asking you to support this petition which I will submit to Barnsley Council. This is the best way for us to make progress on road safety in this area.
It is up to us to get behind this and attract attention to problems in our villages.
We, the undersigned, are calling on Barnsley Council to extend the 30mph limit on Staincross Common to the full length of this road and for it to be further extended along Windhill Lane as far as the brow of the hill by Windhill Gate Farm. The benefits of this would be as follows:-
- Improved road safety across the whole stretch of this road which is getting busier as more and more traffic use it whilst travelling to and from Junction 38 of the M1.
- To improve safety for residents of Staincross Common crossing the road.
- To improve safety for motorists at the junction of this stretch of road with Warren Lane and Sackup Lane.
- To improve safety for residents of Windhill Lane in crossing the road to use the layby opposite their properties.
- To improve safety for the residents of Windhill Gate Farm who are reporting difficulties in safely leaving their properties by car due to traffic speed and poor sight lines.
- To improve the safety for horses and riders using the stables opposite Windhill Gate Farm to cross the road.
Traffic is reported as getting faster in this location since the static speed camera was removed.
PETITION TO BARNSLEY COUNCIL FOR A 30MPH SPEED LIMIT ON STAINCROSS COMMON AND WINDHILL LANE EXTENDING TO THE BROW OF THE HILL BY WINDHILL GATE FARM